(Artikel ini yang berbahasa Indonesia bisa dibaca di sini) Finally, the Airport Link train that connects downtown Bangkok and Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport opened beginning yesterday, Monday (23/8). The Bangkok-Suvarnabhum comfortable trains which have a maximum speed of 160 km/h. are operated from 6 am to midnight.
Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum said Airport Link can carry up to 50.000 passengers a day and generate revenue of one million baht a day (around USD 31,250).
Airport Link has two types of service: City Line which runs every 15 minutes and Express Line which runs every 30 minutes. Both services operate from 6 am to midnight.
- Has eight stations in Bangkok, began from Phaya Thai, before sliding to the airport Suvarnabhum (route details see table below).
- Trains leave every 15 minutes.
- Travel duration Phaya Thai – Suvarnabhum: 30 minutes.
- Rates during the promotion amounted to 15 baht (flat). Rates starting January 1, 2011 amounted to 15-45 baht depending on distance traveled.
- Non-stop running Makassan – Suvarnabhum (route details see table below).
- Trains leave every 30 minutes.
- Travel duration Makssan – Suvarnabhum: 15 minutes.
- Rates during the promotion amounted to 100 baht. After check-in system installed in Makassan completed, the tariff to 150 baht.
The Airport Link’s luggage service is not fully set up yet. The State Railway of Thailand expected it to be operational before the end of this year. People with many bags may have some difficulties during the check-in process.
This service has been operating on a trial basis since June 1, 2010 and has attracted about 17,000 people that day Bangkok-airport travel for free. But the opening was delayed due to flooding at the site of construction, land acquisition problems, and problems of power supply.
For more information on the Airport Rail Link service, contact the State Railway of Thailand’s hotline on 1690.